Saturday, January 16, 2010

Online dating

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I have heard all kinds of criticisms about the people that use dating websites. But I am not sure that they are any different than the people I encounter in everyday life. I have met nice guys, freaks, weirdos, gays, lesbians (straight men that wanted to be women and date women), potentially homicidal maniacs, and general liars. So why not try an online dating site that has been around for years? I actually know a couple of people that have even married the men that they met. Are they happier then the people that met their husbands/wives at the club or gym or church? The jury is still out. But I will tell you they had far less drama. Each party knows what they are in it for- companionship, marriage, or just a booty call. It's clear and straight forward. So all that being said I have created a profile on a popular site to see who I can meet.




The profile is the most interesting part of the process. This is where you answer a series of questions that make you decide what is that you really want. I am not sure that everyone is sure about that. Do you really know what is important to you in a mate? Are you still stuck on the ideal that you developed from watching too many Meg Ryan movies? I am sure that as we get older our priorities change. Do we still look for that guy that is so darned handsome he could be Mr. America or do we overlook the overbite and comb-over for stability? I know those are both extremes, but when you change your criteria do you feel like you are settling?



Of course there is the part of the profile that talks about who you are? Are you really prepared to call yourself big and beautiful? I am not, I will stick with curvy. It's true! Do you really know what you are interested in or are you just checking all of the boxes? Can you honestly answer the personality assessment? I took the time just to see what they think of me. I am an Explorer. Good? Don't know yet. But I do know that I am an extrovert from previous work related assessments. So where do you go with that? I took a couple of hours to really think about what I want. I was a little surprised. My ideals have changed since I was 20 and even more so since I was 30.



But I think that for 2010 this will be another project. I vow to be open and willing to explore. However, just as dating someone that you meet on the street or through mutual friends, you must do your due diligence. Not that I don't believe what a person tells me, I know that we all tend to be something a little different when we meet someone new. My new year’s resolution in 2006 was to accept people for who they show me that they are through their actions and words.

Well campers the next step is up to Mr. Right. The anxiety builds, supposed noone wants to wink at me? What if noone is interested? What will I do. I promise to keep you informed oif my progress. But until then, let me know what you thin kon the subject.


Thanks a Latte for reading!

Have Café Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment